VIA VITICOLA | Scentico | Chardonnay | #
chardonnay

VIA_VITICOLAScentico_Chardonnay

We will be evaluating wines in no particular order on no particular schedule. Just stay tuned and you will never miss our reviews. If the wine is tasted more than once, the rating table will be updated so as to reflect all the new impressions and observations.

Today we are going to review a quite interesting wine – a single-varietal, lightly oaked chardonnay wine – Scentico Chardonnay light barrique by Via Viticola Sarica Niculitel. Chardonnay is one of the world’s most popular grape varieties, prized for its flexibility and the ability to produce high-quality wines in a wide range of climates and terroirs. Stylistically, there are two main types of chardonnay wines: on one hand we have the classic oak-aged style that is backed up by winemakers in Napa Valley and most of the Grand Cru in Bourgogne, and on the other hand there’s that crisp and refreshing unoaked style that is promoted mostly by the new-world producers and most of the winemakers in the Chablis region. This specific wine is a little bit of both, made of grapes that are sourced from the Sarica – Niculitel vineyard in the Dobrogea region, it has been crafted with almost divine perfection, where 70% of the wine has been aged for 4 months in american oak barriques, while the remaining 30% was made up of the pure and crisp, unoaked chardonnay. But enough theory, that said and without further ado, let’s move on straight to our tasting results.
___________________________________________________________________________
Take a look at the tasting notes below and our detailed assessment of the wine:
VIA_VITICOLAScentico_Chardonnay_review

sight
//Visual
color: pastel yellow
clarity: clear yellow hues

compound
//Olfactory
intensity: rich & oaky
fruit profile: sweet fruits | citrus fruits | stone fruits
__sweet fruits: yellow pear | yellow apple | quince
__citrus fruits: lemon | pomelo
__stone fruits: apricot | white peach | pluot | mirabelle
fruit character: ripe

//Flavor
non fruit: floral | vegetal | oak
__floral: iris | honeysuckle | apple blossom | jasmine | white peonies
__vegetal: marguerite daisy | camomile | celery
__oak: vanilla | fresh oakwood
__wood: new / light roast

graph
//Palate
sweetness: dry
acidity: med(+)
alcohol: high
tannin: low
__grip: green
balance: good
__dominant: alcohol
body: round | medium+

//Taste
fruit profile: sweet fruits & stone fruits
fruit character: ripe
non fruit: floral & oak
finish: med(+)
aftertaste: crisp & hot

rate
//Scoring
VIA VITICOLA | Scentico | Chardonnay | #
variety: chardonnay
country: Romania
region: Sarica – Niculitel
rating: 91.5

//Conclusion
maturity: in its prime | drink now or in the next 12 months
verdict: fine | highly recommended
___________________________________________________________________________
96x96This is definitely a fine wine of Romania and with a total of 91.5 points scored, this wine is right there, among the best wines we’ve rated so far. Check our complete database on the wine rating page, where you can find all the wines that we have tasted and reviewed or go to the about us page and find out more about our exquisite rating system.

Verdict: this is a very fine chardonnay wine: round, supple and lean, with a nuanced oaky accent an an unctuous mouthfeel – a wine that is right there, at the summit of its prime form and one that does not require any more bottle ageing. It feels voluptuous and crisp, with mouth-watering acidity and an overwhelming touch of alcoholic warmth on the palate. This a very appealing, oily and slightly rough chardonnay wine, with a medium+ body and some nuanced fruity-floral notes in the foreground, that are nicely complemented by those citrusy-herbal flavours in the background. All in all this is a well structured and nicely balanced chardonnay wine, with an oakt-sweet accent on the nose, lean palate and a slightly rough finale. In order to elevate its character and underline those subtle terroir notes, we would recommend to pair this wine with creamy seafood dishes, like for example some langoustine tagliatelle. Cheers!
VIA_VITICOLAScentico_Chardonnay_profilex_the_color

___________________________________________________________________________
© The WineStatistics ratings are based solely on our own knowledge of the world of wine and on our personal wine tastes, which may, or may not, differ from yours – the reader. Just remember that there are no absolutes of right and wrong in wine appreciation.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s